What if the respondent violates the PPO?

If the PPO is violated:

  1. Immediately call 911 or the local police.
  2. If the police do not arrest the respondent, file a police report and bring the report to the PPO Office to file a "Motion to Show Cause."

The respondent must come to court after being arrested or after you file and serve the "Motion to Show Cause." The Prosecutor's Office will try to have an Assistant Prosecuting Attorney to assist you during your hearing. The court has the discretion to jail the respondent for up to ninety-three days and/or impose a fine of up to $500.

Show All Answers

1. What is a PPO?
2. How to apply for a PPO?
3. What if I am a minor or an incapacitated person?
4. What does the Court need to know?
5. When will the PPO go into effect?
6. What do I do after a PPO is issued?
7. What if the respondent violates the PPO?
8. How do I modify, terminate, or extend the PPO?
9. Where can I call for help?